Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Raining and picking





I have certainly found empathy for the poor farmers at the moment. They just can't win. I have bloated and rotting strawberries thanks to the rain and I assume they taste.... well tasteless!

While our farmers are having troubles with their grain crops, damaged bloated cherries and stone fruit, the rain is exacerbating many of the issues I have eg Apple Scab (which is on both my quince and my apple).

On a brighter note, I do have some tasty things that have been coming out of the garden and onto my table. Lettuce galore! The chooks have also been feasting on this very productive stem lettuce. I also have some delicately flavoured celery. The two most productive things in my garden have started their travels to my table - silverbeet and the yellow zuccinin's. The silverbeet isn't "big" yet, but it is lush looking and tasting. We have already made and devoured a fresh silverbeet and fetta quiche. To date the yellow zuccini's have been a little on the small side, but they are slowly increasing in length - Yay!
Baby bean plants

Raspberry flowers
What is well under way? Hmm, well I don't think the beans will be far off from the start of their harvest. Raspberries can't be too far away (though I think the rain may impact on their size and flavour), and the corn is powering along. Tomatoes are slowly chugging along (perhaps I will get some kind of a crop off them???) and there is a tiny cucumber on the tiny cucumber.

I have some pumpkin vines starting to do their thing about the yard. Will have to wait and see just how much of the yard they devour this year! I have avoided pumpkins for a couple of years due to the amount of yard that I have left once they have engulfed it, their pretty lame flavour and development, and due to a large harvest a couple of years ago I haven't been too keen to actually eat pumpkin, but I am ready again this year :)

I can't remember whether or not it made it into the last post, but I have finished the roads around my yard! I can get from my backdoor to my shed without getting my feet dirty (unless the chooks have been out and have burried my paths). I have a lovely new section of paving and a beaut ramp that has been designed for the purpose of one small child cruising down and round the garden on his bike (and the transport of goods and services around the yard by wheelbarrow (especially a small red wheelbarrow).

The red pears are causing people confusion in my yard. People seem to think (or dream) that they are figs, even though their shape couldn't possibly be confused with any other shape - a pear is a pear! Nashi's are growing well (even after a pair of small hands removed a few!) as are the quince (despite the attack of pear slug and some kind of fungal disease on the leaves, possibly apple scab).

There are always so many things to do in the garden. The best chore's at this time of year have got to be watching, harvesting, and consuming (while watching)! Mmm perhaps yellow zuccini fritters for dinner???

No comments:

Post a Comment