Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Paitently waiting... or not...

Watching the garden grow can be like watching a kettle boil...

Everything seems to be taking forever to grow at the moment. Some things have really taken off - the Nashi, Apple, Quince, and Pear, also the beetroot (YUMMMO!), one yellow zuccini and the lettuce. The lettuce is definitely better this year than last year, I like to think that is due to the shade frames that I built to shelter them from the harsh Lithgow sun (when it appears!). Everything else seems to be struggling, especially the capsicum, silverbeet (which makes NO sense at all given the growth of the beetroot!), the corn, and the most of the zuccini. Don't know what their problem is, but I really wish they would get over it and just grow...

Oh, hang on! How could I forget about the amazing strawberry patch?! I have never seen so many strawberry flowers. All I need to do is protect them from the "reaching" little hands of my son, who is keen to eat them regardless of their colour and stage of ripeness (or lack there of!!!).

I haven't really done much to the veg garden over the last couple of weeks (except for a weeding session the other day). I have been busy though! I finished my garden gate (not that attractive, but happily functional) and fence. I have also carefully pulled down (brick by painstaking brick) the brick fence at the front of my house. I have had plans for a while to use these beautiful Lithgow bricks to finish building my garden path out the back (didn't really want to pull the wall down as it was a beautiful feature, but it was too dangerous to stay put).

Today was spent paving... and I finished. I am pretty happy with the result, despite not following the instructions given to my by my father (yeah, I know, I will probably regret it later when it sinks and warps). It is sort of level, but needed to bend and slope to a certain extent to work in with the world around it. It looks happily rustic...

Unfortunately I ran out of bricks, so I will need to extend my modestly built and kinda quirky (and not so level and strait) deck. A job for tomorrow perhaps????

I have also spent the last couple of days on my local orchid mission. I went up the hill a couple of times over the weekend with my son in search of some new ones. There was success yesterday, but I neglected to take my camera with me, so today I took the opportunity (and what a great excuse to delay paving!!!) to head back up the hill to capture these beautiful specimens on modern "film". I am up to 7 obvious varieties so far, and there must be loads of time left in "orchid season". I shall post some pictures of what I have found soon.

So many options for jobs to do tomorrow while my son is at daycare...

No comments:

Post a Comment